HKW - House of World Cultures
21 September 2020
The Haus der Kulturen der Welt (House of World Cultures), is one of Berlin's architectural and cultural pearls: a museum and a conference hall dedicated to art and cultural production in the globalized world. It is located in the heart of Tiergarten, the central district of the German capital and has been the cultural center of reference of contemporary art since 1989. Here works and projects by artists from all over the planet are welcomed and presented to the public, in an atmosphere of multicultural exchange. Built in 1957, in the western part of the city, the building with modernist architecture and impressive engeneering structure by Hugh Stubbins, is nicknamed by the Berliners "The Oyster" for its characteristic and impressive shape; and is also recognized as a symbol of boundless freedom as the only building visible in East Berlin during the Cold War. Being part of this reality with the 1630 easily removable seats redesigned on the basis of the original ones, is a reason for pride for CALOI.